What is the Difference Between Ruby and Ruby on Rails?
New graduates often feel confused between both Ruby and Ruby on Rails (RoR). They usually mistake one for the other or they simply assume that both are same. No, this isn’t really the case. There are a few things that differentiate both of them. In fact, Ruby is a programming language whereas Ruby on rails is a web app framework that works on Ruby. Depending upon the application you are going to use it for, both of them usually work in collaboration with each other.
What is the difference between Ruby and Ruby on Rails (RoR)?
Developed by Yukihiro “Matz” Matsumoto in the mid-1990s, Ruby is a dynamic, reflexive, object oriented general purpose programming language. According to the designer of Ruby, it was inspired by Perl, Eiffel, Smalltalk, Ads and Lisp. It has been designed to support multiple programming paradigms. It also has a dynamic type system and automatic memory management.
- Ruby is a Programming language whereas Ruby on Rails is a web application framework implemented by Ruby. So they not only work in collaboration but RoRis completely dependent on Ruby.
- RoR has a library written in Ruby which prompts many of the Ruby users to learn and make use of Ruby which is another reason for the popularity of Ruby language.
- Ruby is a scripting language tightly coupled with Rails. Rails is no wonder a platform built out of Ruby. Whatever you write in Rails framework application, is a Ruby code. So its basically all about Ruby. You need to learn Ruby to make use of RoR.
- It’s pretty simple to understand, similar to PHP has Codeigniter, CakePHP and Laravel, Ruby has Ruby on Rails.
- When you run applications in Rails, you are just interpreting the Ruby Code using the Ruby interpreter.
The biggest benefit of using Ruby together with Ruby on Rails framework is the speed of development. Practices tell that speed of developing web applications in Ruby increases to 30-40 percent as compared to other programming languages using different frameworks. Developers of Ruby agree the fact that speed increase is due to the the extensive set of ready to work RoR tools, ready-made solutions in the community, the Ruby language itself (an easy approach to programming) and its collaboration with easy to understand and implement RoR framework.
To conclude, it can be said that with every other language there is a problem – complexity of text which is never the case when using Ruby as your development project. This could be one of the reasons many developers rely on Ruby these days since this platform not only offer them ease to develop applications but it saves several hours for the company to spend on other crucial tasks.